Wednesday, October 1, 2014

I'm Not Old


I know a woman. I don't consider her to be my friend because I don't confide in her. I don't tell her when I have a problem. I don't talk to her about personal things. We don't spend time together.  But she's more than an acquaintance. We've attended social occasions together. We've been with the same group on motorcycle trips. I know the circle of people she associates with. She is older than me. In cat years, she is forty years older, and the first number of her age is higher by one than mine, so I do consider her to be my senior, something I won't be able to do in three months. What I'm trying to say is, I don't want to be her. She is old. I am not.

 I found out today she had a heart attack two days ago. To add insult to injury, after she was in the hospital, she had a stroke. From the outside looking in, she was a healthy woman. She doesn't drink, I do. She doesn't smoke, I did. I don't know her activity level, but my motorcycle clutch and throttle hands are very strong, and so am I.

For some reason, this woman acquaintance's health situation has affected me. I'm not her, but I could be. She is old. I am not. I am not her.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are very young at heart! One of the most young people I have ever known

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I know exactly how you feel. A woman on the street behind us, someone that loved Ray and put one of his VOTE signs in her yard when he was running for office, dropped dead in her driveway this summer. She was exactly my age. Really shook me up a bit. Since then, I have been trying to do more of the things that I like to do, as opposed to the things that need to be done. With limited success.

    ReplyDelete