Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Shutter Shock



"Lay down with me. God you look so good. I want to take some pictures of you. Open your legs a little. Touch yourself. A little more, babe. Ohhh, that makes me hot. Honey, no one is gonna see these but me, don't worry, I promise. We're married, after all. Trust me.

Trust me.

Trust me.

I am your husband."

I heard what he said. Each and every word. And I believed each and every word. What a turn on, what an aphrodisiac, to hear someone voice their desire for you. How erotic to hear someone you love wants to take photos of you, wants to look at you like that, remember you like that, forever.

Those were the days before smart phones, before cameras with USB drives. The days even before the internet. The images were Polaroids because you would not want to send film to the drugstore to be developed. After all, it was to be private. Only between a husband and wife. Only between partners. Only between trusted lovers.

Then, one day I said to him, "You hit me. It will not happen again. I am leaving you. Do you understand what I have just told you?"
He said to me, "If you leave me, I will nail those pictures to every telephone pole in town."
I said to him, "if you do that, I will come up behind you when you least expect it and put a bullet in your brain. Do you understand what I have just told you?"

The next day, there was an envelope containing my intimate pictures under my Welcome mat.

I have come to know that a lovely young woman in my community has been the victim of a similar situation, albeit with a modern, twenty first century twist.

These are the days of smart phones, devices that can "bump" each other to transfer high res pictures. One click, one bump, and your face and every before now publicly unseen part of you is out in the world to look at, forever.

Forever.

This young woman's husband has broken the spousal trust. He has released intimate photos of his wife. A wife who loved her husband enough to trust him to take intimate pictures of her.

Trust me

Trust me

He put those pictures on the internet to hurt her, to shame her, to humiliate her. To possibly lose her job. No reason justifies this action. It has only shamed him.

Unfortunately, she can't tell him "if you do that, I will come up behind you when you least expect it and put a bullet in your brain. Do you understand what I have just told you?" because we do have smartphones, recording devices, and internet, and she is a public figure. The images are already out there.

But her friends, family, and I will stand beside her. We will champion her. We will defend her, no matter what.

Forever.

2 comments:

  1. I think this is going to be a passing phase in our culture. Where once it was shocking to see nude photos of someone in public it's now getting to the point that thirteen year olds pose like pinup girls on a daily basis. Eventually, the shock value will wear off as well as the sense of intimacy. It's going to get to the point that there isn't anything special about seeing someone naked before you meet them and that's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, you are right Michael. But it wasn't my sole intention to showcase the commonality of nude intimate photos; rather to highlight the horridness of a vindictive, formerly trusted lover.

      Delete