Thursday, February 19, 2015

02.20.02



He hadn't spoken in days. He couldn't.

I hadn't spoken in hours. I couldn't.

I was going to be the last witness to my Daddy's life. I was the one to see him off on his next journey, wherever that may be.

I was to bid him bon voyage and Godspeed.

Before he quit speaking, he was talking to my dead Mother, which brought a certain amount of comfort to me. He also thanked Charlie for the hearing aides Dorothy gave him after Charlie died. Then there was the old cat that seemed to be always jumping into the clothes dryer. My dear old Dad asked a kitty to give him back his shorts.

He chattered, I listened, I laughed.

I held his right hand with my own. I didn't want to squeeze too hard for fear I would bruise him. I cupped his face with both hands. I told him that I would be all right. I told him my brother would be all right. I told him that we loved him and that he did a good job as a Daddy, as a Friend, as a Man.

I told him he had suffered for one second longer than was too long.

I told him that it was ok for him to go.

He looked at me, his hand relaxed, and one single tear fell from his eye.

Rest in eternal peace, Hugh Lang Pettit.




2 comments: