Friday, February 14, 2014

The Waves in my Mind







My mind is awash with ideas. It feels as if I am back in California, standing on the sand watching the waves come at me and not knowing which one to run from and which one to jump into. There are tiers in these waves. The first ones are small. Seemingly insignificant little ripples that hardly make it to the shore, but those tiny waves bring riches when they do; small iridescent shells that once were homes, a single tentacle that's still alive and moving. There are golden flecks of sand. Then more waves begin, with their larger size. Left, right and center they come. These bring more life; a small jellyfish floating up. Then the wave sucks it back to continue on wherever it will go. The beautiful shell of a sea turtle rolls in and as it turns in the surf, the core of the animal is gone, eaten out, eyes dead. Another wave washes over this dead thing, taking it away. Larger waves come. The sound of them crashing to the right on the rocks is almost deafening. There is an echo. Another one is coming. Another one is rising, threatening. But it is so beautiful, turning over and over, blue green, green blue. Where is this one going? Roiling over and over and, so tall, I cannot see the horizon; it seems to rise to the clouds. I begin to think that it will crash over and crush me. I run as fast as I can. I run because my life depends on it. I run and jump into this wave. The current takes over and pulls me with it and I relax.  My body doesn't fight. My mind doesn't resist. This is my home now.

1 comment: