Friday, November 29, 2013

Red Lines

Appliances are necessary in the modern world. Wash dishes in the dishwasher if there is a full load. Bake a turkey when it's the season if that's your thing. But the most important appliance to me is the dryer. I live in west Texas (which is the geographic term bestowed on us by the "news people", even though we really live in the north part of Texas). We can't dry our clothes on the line here because we have blowing dirt. Blowing dirt that is sometimes red. So red and dark that, sometimes at four o'clock, the street lights turn on. So, even though I love the way sheets smell after hanging on a line stretched across the back yard, that's pretty much impossible here. So, back to the dryer. Got a load? Put it in the dryer. Push the button. Dry, dry, dry. Then "wheeeek, wheeek, wheeek, wheeek" pause "wheeek, wheeek, wheeek". I hear a high D flat. Over and over. It's 40 degrees here right now. Where is my line?

~Melinda from Texas

2 comments: